A Taste of African Heritage Diet – Lesson 1
Join us as we explore the A Taste of African Heritage—a new kind of cooking curriculum that introduces people to the traditional healthy foods and flavors of Africa and the African Diaspora. There are a total of six (6) lessons that will be offered over multiple dates this summer!
A Taste of African Heritage (ATOAH) Diet Pyramid is Oldways’s newest healthy eating model that celebrates the traditional eating pattern of African-American ancestors—from Africa, South America, the Caribbean, and the American South. This is a plant-based diet.
During this six-part series we will bring the African Heritage Diet Pyramid to life, allowing you to discover the major foods of the pyramid and to learn how to easily prepare them!
- Lesson 1: African Heritage Diet & Spices – July 10, 2022 – Jollof Rice and Oldways African Heritage Spicy Chickpeas
- Lesson 2: Greens – July 24, 2022 –Tangy Collard Greens, Oldways Greens MixUp, Garlicky Dill Sauce, Spinach Cucumber Dill Salad, and Green Smoothie
- Lesson 3: Whole Grains – August 7 , 2022 – Oldways Millet with Zucchini and Chickpeas, Oldways Quinoa with Ginger and Carrots, and Oldways Curried Couscous with Peppers
- Lesson 4: Beans & Rice – August 21, 2022 – Oldways Caribbean Coconut Red Beans, Heritage and Health: Rice and Beans, Oldways Simple Red Lentils, and Oldways Black-Eyed Pea Salad and Brown Rice
- Lesson 5: Tubers & Mashes – September 11, 2022 – Oldways Senegalese Sweet Potato Peanut Stew (Mafe), Oldways Kenyan Vegetable Mashed Potatoes (Irio), and Oldways Yuca Fried
- Lesson 6:Fruits, Veggies, & Healthy Lifestyle – October 2, 2022 – Oldways Braised Cabbage, Oldways Blackened Okra, and Oldways Mango and Papaya After-Chop Fruit Salad